Friday, June 28, 2013

Growing up with Jiu-Jitsu

Being a parent is one of the most rewarding tasks in life. It most cases, it changes your life for the better. It challenges you to be responsible for someone other then yourself. From the moment you hold your child in your arms, your purpose is to protect and care for them. Growing up is an inevitable part of life, it is difficult yet gratifying to see them grow up. The feeling can be described as bitter-sweet. Both my boys are growing up so fast. The seven year old, although extremely free spirited, still depends on mom and dad. My oldest son is thirteen and his transition from child to independent teenager is starting to flourish. Most parents fear the teenage years. I know I drove my parents crazy, with numerous bad decision and I am sure my mother in  law has a private room in heaven raising my husband alone. There where times when the attitude and talking back from our son where driving us crazy, but other than that I feel we did a pretty good job with him. One thing is very clear as a parent, you don't want your child to make the same mistakes you made. We have taught him the importance of having God in his life and setting and keeping goals for himself. Jiu-Jitsu is a big part of our lives, so it is no surprise that it's a big part of his. Sports in general provide positive opportunities for kids, however, Jiu-Jitsu is more than a sport, its a lifestyle. Most teenagers want to go to the mall and hang out with their friends, mine wants to drill and grapple. I am extremely grateful to have an open relationship with him. The other day he was telling us how his friends from school where saying he didn't have a life. I was curious, what do you mean? why would they say that?  He said after school all the kids from the neighborhood hung out at the park and he never goes. He had never asked permission to go before, so I asked him if it was something he wanted to do. To my surprise he said, "No way mom, I'd rather be at the gym  training." Yes, I am a very proud mom. Jiu-Jitsu has transformed my once chubby,  not very confident little boy into an intrepid teenager with a healthy body, mind and soul.  He is a compassionate boy that looks out for his friends, parents and annoying little brother. Jiu-Jitsu has taught him the importance of winning and losing and how discipline and perseverance are the foundations to accomplishing your goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment